May 2016 in ReviewJune 1, 2016
June 2016 in ReviewJuly 5, 2016
To my amazing dad, Happy Father’s Day!
I’m a better person because of your impact on my life – your kindness, determination, work ethic, love for food and chilled rosé, and personality have been graciously passed to me. And I am so thankful for that. It’s the biggest compliment in the world for people to tell me I’m just like you – which happens very often!
When I think of what a “dad” embodies, you check all the boxes and three million more. I could go on and on, but here’s a short list of reasons why you are simply amazing:
- You are the most hipster republican CEO I know. Your capris and v-necks are just awesome.
- You are an instant friend to everyone you meet. I love your spirited conversations with baristas and bartenders, and appreciate the ways you get to know people.
- When we walked down the aisle on my wedding day, you kept whispering “Michael Jordan, Michael Jordan, Michael Jordan” – a tip you learned many years ago when in somewhat nerve-wracking situations. Needless to say, it worked, and we laughed (and tripped) the whole way.
- You have taught me to be fiercely independent and resourceful.
- Growing up, you and I spent Saturday mornings together – always stopping for donuts and a car wash. It’s our “thing.” Even now on Saturday mornings, I find myself wishing we lived closer so we could continue the tradition. Maybe not with skating/cello lessons, but with coffee, games, and life lessons.
- You can perfectly install Elfa shelving and hang pictures and mirrors like a champ. What takes you 3 hours would probably take me 3 days.
- On those early mornings of skating practice, you were there to tie my skates (really tightly!), packed hot chocolate in a thermos to drink on the way to the rink, and served as team doctor for many cut hands and legs.
- You make the most of every situation, always turning it into a fun story for later, and I smile just thinking about your huge grin and full-bellied laugh.
- Some of my favorite beach memories are of us making giant sand creatures: human-sized ladybugs, alligators, fish, and more.
- You have shown me unconditional love through the best and worst of times. I couldn’t ask for a better role model.
I love you to the moon and back!